Monday, March 26, 2012

BOUQUETS TO ARTS 2012

I have been doing Bouquets to Arts for 15 years this year. (wow) But to this day I still get nervous and anxious while waiting for the assignment of art I am to interpret in floral design.You see it's a two phase process, The first one happens during the first week of January, selection day, when we walk around the museum and we are asked to choose 5, yes 5 works of art from which one will be ultimately be assigned to us. From that time, it will be a whole torturous month before we get an assignment then another month to come up with a museum worthy interpretation for a week of exhibition.

This year I was given my first choice. Berkeley by Richard Diebenkorn an abstract painting with hues of orange, mauve, pale blues, whites and yellow orange.. But how does one interpret a flat modernist abstract painting.??!!!! I have done literal interpretation in the past and for a while there I was lost, for weeks I had nothing. Till finally It came to me. I decided to re create the feel of the painting in my containers by painting them and had one shape from the painting in a pave of flowers in its colors, with the whimsical addition of painted kiwi branches to repeat the lines in the painting. It all came together the night before installation.... sigh...












with the very gracious Ms. Barbara Harbinson, long time chair and instrumental to the success of Bouquet's to Arts.

with Alexandria Christakos and good friend, Donnel Vicente

No comments:

Post a Comment